Low Sex Drive
I have men and women in their 40’s and up talk about not having a sex drive and that they need to do “their marital duty”. Intimacy with the right partner is great, but there maybe issues as to why you have low sex drive.
- Medications - some medication lower nitric oxide and/or testosterone
- Stress - when a person is stressed the last thing they want to think about is sex because dopamine levels aren’t there to help with motivation and testosterone levels are low due to stress.
- Hormone Imbalance - when your hormones are not balanced low sex drive will kick in. No testosterone no dopamine, no sex drive.
- Abuse - physical, emotional, and psychological abuse can cause a person to have low sex drive. If your spouse or significant other is forcing you to have sex with them this is a problem and you need to get out of the situation anyway you can. Call 1-800-799-7233 for the Domestic Abuse Hotline. If you were previously abused, this can have a lasting effect. As you work with counselors to navigate your emotional healing, we can work with you and your counselor to balance out brain chemistry to aid in the emotional healing.
- Medical conditions - like heart issues, depression, anxiety, PTSD, etc. can cause a person to have low sex drive too.
Testing can be done to see what is causing low sex drive through blood, saliva, EKG, etc.
Schedule an Appointment Today
If you’re tired and frustrated with your low libido, schedule an appointment so we can help identify the cause and work with you to identify appropriate treatments.